Short uTorrent review
uTorrent is one of the best torrent clients, probably the most popular one, according to some sources with 30 millions unique users each month. This small program has been released since 2005, originally developed by Ludvig Strigeus. On December 7, 2006 the code has been the property of BitTorrent, Inc and some people claims that this program is not the same and because of the closed source uTorrent may have been modified to spy on users on Peerfactor’s behalf. You can reade more about this here.
Changelog for uTorrent
Version 1.8.3 build 16010
- Buffer overrun vulnerability in create torrent dialog, this has been fixed.
- Toolbar installer version has been changed.
Version 1.8.2 build 15167
- No updates specified to this version.
- This is the latest version from 1.8.2 series.
Version 1.8.1 build 12639
- Prevent ĀµTorrent from showing the installer dialog when upgrading from an older version but this is availabe for version 1.8.1 12616.
- No other updates available to this version.
Version 1.8 build 11813
- Incorrect bencode key sorting on keys where one is a subset of the other bug has been fixed.
- Do not check routing for IPs when a proxy is in use, this bug has been fixed.
- Replace backslashes in file paths for multifile URL seeding with forward slashes, fixed.
- Remote crash bug with extension protocol has been fixed, this was a rare one and could affect only some computers.
- Remote crash bug in WebUI has been fixed.
- Limit local peers if disk is congested, this bug has been fixed.
- Do not use adapter subnet to identify local peers, this has been changed.
- Double-clicking to open items in RSS releases tab has been fixed
- Remote crash bug (affects all 1.6.x, 1.7.x, and 1.8 builds released to date) this has been fixed.
- Downloads stalled in rare cases, this is a rare bug that has been fixed.
- A rare crash bug with malformed UPnP response has been fixed.
- Crash bug in Mainline DHT compatability has been fixed.
- Disable Local Peer Discovery for private torrents bug has been fixed.
- Invalid download amounts being reported to trackers for torrents bigger than 4 GB has been fixed.
- Determination of which peers are local on Windows 98 and possibly in Windows 95 has been fixed.
- Other updates apply to older versions, this version ( 1.7 ) is a final one.
Version 1.6.1 build 490
- Only one bug fixes was specified and this refers to PECompact causing crashes.
Version 1.6 build 474
- Autoload would not copy the torrent under some circumstances, this issue has been fixed in this version.
- No mark was shown in the Label selection menu for the selected label, this problem has been solved
- Always merge trackers if loading a torrent in silent mode, this has been changed.
Version 1.5 build 437
- There is a new change: Lower # of pieces started at the same time
- Issue when compact allocation getting enabled even though it’s off has now been fixed
- Tab icons are now transparent, this issue has been also fixed.
uTorrent has become popular before being acquired by BitTorrent, Inc but to be honest, most of the “criticism it faces is that it is closed source”. We would like to remind here that you will be able to download old uTorrent versions but not all of them. As you can see the oldest version starts with version 1.5 as we think that older versions are already to be old in order to be used and we will try to explain this. For example, when you load a .torrent file from trackers on the Internet 90 % of them will ask you to use a recent version since older versions would not report correctly the data back to their servers. This has been useful to users that were using fake share ratio programs but the administrators from private trackers also go smarter and forced their users to use more recent versions. Also as far as we know, versions 1.6 from uTorrent could be affected by a “Remote Heap Overflow Exploit” and also versions 1.7.7 are vulnerable to a “Range header Denial of Service exploit” which actually affects the WebUI from 1.7.7/6.0.1. We hope that you understand that using an older version could be good or it could be wrong and we are not being responsable for any old uTorrent versions listed here. All versions are scanned for viruses or malware but you should scan them and also you should understand the risks of using an older, vulnerable version.